Beef Burgers with Crispy Fries
Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
Yield: 3 burgers (+5 remaining beef patties) // 4 servings of fries
For the beef patties (8 patties):
18 oz (500 g) boneless beef
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
sunflower oil (for frying)
Here we go: We will start with the beef patties!
1. Finely chop the garlic and onion. Using your hands, break the bun into crumbs. Put the bread crumbles into a small bowl and pour over with 1.7 fl. oz (50 ml) of cold water. Let the mixture stand for 1 minute.
2. Rinse the beef with cold water. Pat dry with kitchen paper. With a sharp knife, cut the beef in cubes. Put the beef and bread mixture into a meat grinder and mince them together.
3. In a big bowl, combine the beef mixture, garlic, onion, egg, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix everything together until just blended. Shape the meat into burger patties. Heat 2-3 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan. Add the burger patties and cook over low-medium heat until browned, for 7-8 minutes on each side.
Energy: 135 kcal / 564 kJ
Fat: 8,5 g
Carbohydrates: 2,5 g
of which sugars: 0,7 g
Protein: 11,9 g
Fibre: 0,4 g
For the Crispy Fries (4 servings) :
12-14 (1.2 kg) potatoes
2 tablespoons dried Pizza Spice Mix (oregano, rosemary, bell pepper, basil, onion powder, garlic powder)
2 teaspoons of salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
28 fl. oz (800 ml) sunflower oil (for frying)
1. Wash and drain the potatoes. Cut the potatoes into strips. Place them in a large bowl and cover with ice cold water. ( Put ice packs under the bowl or add some ice cubes to the water.) Leave them to stand for 30 minutes. Drain them in a big colander and rinse with cold water. Transfer the strips to a big plate and pat them dry with kitchen paper. Now coat the potatoes lightly with the flour from all sides.
2. Sprinkle the Pizza Spice Mix on a big plate covered with kitchen paper. Heat the sunflower oil in a large heavy pan. (Be very careful, when cooking with hot oil! Water should not get in contact with hot oil, not even one drop, it’s very dangerous.) When hot, carefully add the potatoes, in 2-3 batches. (Don’t cook all of the potatoes in one batch.) Fry for about 7-10 minutes or until golden brown. Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the fries to the plate. Now mix them with the Pizza Spice Mix while still hot.
Energy: 430 kcal / 1802 kJ
Fat: 23,3 g
Carbohydrates: 46,7 g
of which sugars: 0,2 g
Protein: 3,2 g
Fibre: 6,4 g
Optional Garnishes (For 3 Burgers):
3 buger buns
1 chili pepper
3-4 lettuce leaves
3 slices of cheese
1. Wash and dry the vegetables. Slice the tomatoes, scallion and chili pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter or sunflower oil in a small pan. Add the scallion and chili pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until softened, about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Cut the buns into halves, toast and spread each half with 1-2 teaspoons of tomato ketchup. Top each bun half with a beef patty, chili, scallions, a slice of cheese and 3 slices of tomato. Place under low broiler and heat until the cheese is melted. Now you can place 1-2 lettuce leaves between the bun halves.
Energy: 395 kcal / 1654 kJ
Fat: 18,9 g
Carbohydrates: 34,7 g
of which sugars: 8,4 g
Protein: 20,3 g
Fibre: 4,1 g
1 Beef Burger + 1 serving of Crispy Fries:
Energy: 825 kcal /3456 kJ
Fat: 42,2 g
Carbohydrates: 81,4 g
of which sugars: 8,6 g
Protein: 23,5 g
Fibre: 10,5 g
♥Personal note: You can top your burger with pickles, fried red onions, or mustard, basically anything you like. I actually like pickles, unfortunately I didn’t have any at home…. #( ^ o ^”)#. You can also divide the fries into 5 servings to reduce your caloric intake! Also…the calories for the fries may differ. Because, it was difficult for me to count (or find out) how much of the oil is actually absorbed by the potatoes. (And also drained on kitchen paper.) If you don’t want to make burgers, you could eat the fries with only the patties.