Chicken Patties with Couscous and Vegetables
Ready in: 35-40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
Cooking equipment: Food processor
For the chicken patties:
14 oz (400 g) skinless boneless chicken filets
1 slice soft white bread
3 1/2 fl. oz (100 ml) milk
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons cornmeal
sunflower oil (for frying)
1. Rinse the chicken filets with cold water. Pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut the chicken filets into smaller pieces.
2. Use your hands to crumble the slice of bread. Put the bread crumbles in a bowl and pour over with the milk. Let the mixture stand for 1 minute.
3. In a food processer, combine the chicken filets, egg, bread mixture, salt and pepper. Process until smooth. Rub your hands with water to keep the mixture from sticking. Shape the chicken mixture into 12 patties. (I got 13 though. :P). Coat the patties lightly with cornmeal all over, shake off any excess.
4. Heat 3-4 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the patties, partly covered, for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Lower the heat, if the patties get too brown too quickly.
Per serving (1 chicken patty):
Energy: 83 kcal / 346 kJ
Fat: 3,9 g
Carbohydrates: 3,4 g
of which sugars: 0,9 g
Protein: 9 g
Fibre: 0,2 g
For the Couscous with Vegetables
3 1/2 oz (100 g) couscous (uncooked)
1 (70 g) carrot
1 (125 g) courgette
2 (200 g) tomatoes
3 1/2 oz (100 g) feta cheese
1 handful of fresh parsley
1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter (for frying)
1. Rinse the couscous thoroughly in cool water. Drain well and transfer to a bowl. Pour over with 5.4 fl. oz (160 ml) of boiled water. Cover and let stand for about 5 minutes. Occasionally fluff with a fork. Drain all of the excess water in a colander.
2. Pare and wash the carrot. Trim off the stem end and root. Wash the courgette and tomato. Pat dry with kitchen paper and trim off the stem ends. Dice the carrot and courgette. Using your hands, crumble the feta cheese. Peel and finely chop the onion.
Put the tomatoes into a bowl and pour over with boiling water, enough to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain the tomatoes, then peel off the skin and remove from the seeds. Cut the tomatoes in cubes. Wash, dry and finely chop the parsley.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil or butter in a frying pan. Add the onions and cook over low heat until just softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in the tomatoes and courgettes. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat.
4. Add the couscous, parsley and feta cheese and mix well. (you can also add 1 teaspoon of butter to taste) Cover partly and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Serve with the chicken patties.
Energy: 211 kcal / 881 kJ
Fat: 9,6 g
Carbohydrates: 20,5 g
of which sugars: 4,3 g
Protein: 8,7 g
Fibre: 1,9 g
Per serving (1/4 Couscous with 3 chicken patties):
Energy: 460 kcal / 1919 kJ
Fat: 21,3 g
Carbohydrates: 30,7 g
of which sugars: 7 g
Protein: 35,7 g
Fibre: 2,5 g
♥Personal note: I’m going to listen to Michael Jackson now. :’) Been a fan since 2005. Oops. This is slighlty off-topic. Ok..let’s get to something more relevant. I’ve got a Koalified Tip for you: There are 3 ingredients you should always have at home. 1. Salt 2. Pepper 3. vegetable oil or sunflower oil. #( ^ o ^ )#