Classic Sponge Cake – (Classic Biscuit)
Ready in: 1 hour // + Resting time: 2-3 hours
Yield: 1 cake // 26 cm // 8-10 pieces
6 oz (170 g) granulated sugar
4.9 oz (140 g) all-purpose flour
1 oz (30 g) cornstarch
1 packet (8 g) vanilla sugar
butter (for greasing the cake tin)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Grease a round cake tin (10.2 inches // 26 cm) lightly with butter and sprinkle lightly with flour. Shake off the excess flour. (Do not grease the margins of the cake tin!!)
2. Sift the flour and cornstarch into a bowl. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks. (This should be done carefully, the egg whites have to be completely free from any egg yolks.)
The bowls, whisk and hand mixer should be completely clean, dry and free from any grease or water!
3. Briefly whisk the egg yolks with the vanilla sugar and half (3 oz // 85 g) of the granulated sugar. With a hand mixer, beat until thick and creamy.
4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until soft and foamy. Now, add the sugar in batches and beat until stiff. ( How to know that the egg whites are beaten enough: Make a cut with a knife, the cut has to remain visible.)
5. Use a wooden spoon to gently fold in the egg whites onto the egg yolks mixture. Be very gently, when combining them. Do not whisk them together. Otherwise the biscuit will not rise or be fluffy.
6. Sift the flour mixture over the egg mixture. Gently fold the mixture with a wooden spoon until just blended.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin. Smoothen slightly. (Do not let mixture stand for too long, otherwise the biscuit will not rise!) Bake in the oven until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, for about 28-30 minutes. (Do not open the stove in the first 20 minutes, otherwise the biscuit will not properly rise). Leave to stand for 10 minutes, before turning out on to a wire rack.
8. Let the biscuit rest for at least 2-3 hours. Ideally for about 6-12 hours. The longer the biscuit rests the easier it will be to cut the cake 2 times lenghtwise in half.
Per serving // 1 piece (If you cut the cake into 8 pieces):
Energy: 238 kcal / 997 kJ
Fat: 4 g
Carbohydrates: 43,6 g
of which sugars: 23,2 g
Protein: 6,5 g
Fibre: 0,5 g
Filling the biscuit:
You can fill the cake with Vanilla Buttercream. Top the cake with whipped cream.
Decorate with fresh strawberries and white chocolate shavings.