Gluten-Free Poppy Seed Cake
Ready in: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
5.29 oz (150 g) ground poppy seed
1.76 oz (50 g) ground almonds
1 pinch of salt
3 1/2 oz (75 g) granulated sugar
1 packet ( 0.28 oz) vanilla sugar
3 1/2 oz (100 g) butter (softened)
2.47 oz (70 g) confectioners’ sugar
1 orange (juice)
1.76 oz (50 g) cornstarch
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Cover a 23 cm / 9 in. round cake tin with with baking paper. Grease lightly with butter.
2. Wash the orange with hot water and cut in half. Using your hands, squeeze the juice into a small bowl. Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
3. In a big bowl, beat the egg whites. Gradually add the sugar and salt and continue beating until stiff peaks form. In a separate bowl, combine the butter with confectioners sugar and vanilla sugar. Whisk together until pale yellow and blended. Add the egg yolks one at a time, whisking well after each addition.
4. Stir in the orange juice, ground almonds and poppy seeds. Fold in the egg whites in batches. Sift the cornstarch on top, mixing only enough to blend thoroughly.
5. Pour the mixture onto the prepared cake tin. Bake until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes. (After 20 minutes, cover the cake with baking paper, to prevent it from getting too brown!) Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar.
Per slice: (If you cut the cake into 8 slices.):
Energy: 364 kcal / 1525 kJ
Fat: 24,1 g
Carbohydrates: 27,5 g
of which sugars: 21,2 g
Protein: 8,8 g
Fibre: 4,9 g
♥Personal note: You can add 1 tablespoon of rum to the poppy seed mixture, if you like.