Low Carb Zucchini and Beef Casserole
Ready in: 1 hour
Yield: 4 servings
17.6 (500 g) beef meat
8.8 – 10.6 oz (250-300 g) zucchini
21.2 oz (600 g) tomatoes
1 oz (30 g) almond flour
1 red bell pepper
1 garlic clove
1 sprig fresh rosemary
3 1/2 oz (100 g) cheese
1 teaspoon sambal oelek
freshly ground pepper
1. Wash the rosemary, carrot, bell pepper, zucchini and tomatoes. Put the tomatoes into a large bowl and pour over with boiling water, enough to cover. Allow to stand for 5 minutes. Drain the tomatoes, then peel off the skin and remove the pulp from the seeds. (Reserve the tomato juice.) Sieve the reserved tomato juice into a small bowl. Cut the tomato flesh into cubes.
2. Peel the carrot and cut off the stem ends. Cut the carrot into cubes. Peel the onions and garlic clove. Finely chop the garlic and 1 onion. Quarter the second onion. Cut the bell pepper in half, discard the seeds and the white membranes. Cut the bell pepper into small cubes. Strip the rosemary leaves from the sprig, then roughly chop them.
3. Rinse the beef meat under cold water and pat dry with kitchen paper. With a sharp knife, cut the beef into cubes. Put the beef and onion into a meat grinder and mince them together.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook over a low heat until softened, about 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Add the rosemary, carrot and bell pepper and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato juice Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Season the tomato sauce with salt and pepper.
5. Trim the ends of the zucchini, then quarter and slice them. Coat the zucchini slices lightly with almond flour, shaking of any excess.Heat 3 tablespoons of sunflower oil over a medium heat. When hot, add the zucchini slices, in batches. Cook until golden brown, 2 minutes on each side. Drain them on kitchen paper.
6. Combine the sambal oelek with 1 tablespoon of water. Using the same pan, add the minced meat and season with salt and pepper. Cook until just beginning to brown, about 4 minutes. Stir frequently to break up the meat. Stir in the sambal oelek and cook for 2 minutes more. Meanwhile, finely grate the cheese.
7. Preheat the oven to 390 °F (200 °C). Lay the zucchini slices in layers onto a large baking dish. Spoon half the tomato sauce on top, spreading it evenly. Arrange the beef mixture on top of the tomato sauce and sprinkle over with half the grated cheese. Continue arranging the remaining zucchini, tomato sauce and beef . Sprinkle over with the cheese. Bake until the cheese melts, about 25 minutes.
Energy: 461 kcal / 1930 kJ
Fat: 28,6 g
Carbohydrates: 10,5 g
of which sugars: 9,6 g
Protein: 38,5 g
Fibre: 5,8 g