Macaroni and Cheese with Tomato Sauce
Ready in: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
For the tomato sauce:
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1.54 lb (700 g) tomatoes
freshly ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried Pizza Spice Mix
1. Wash the tomatoes. Put them into a bowl and pour over with boiling water, enough to cover. Let stand for 5 minutes. Drain the tomatoes, then peel off the skin and remove from the seeds. (Reserving the juice.) Sieve the tomato juice into a small bowl. Cut the tomatoes in cubes. Finely chop the onions and garlic.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan. When sizzling, add the onions, garlic and seasonings. Cook over a low heat, stirring often, until softened, about 12 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and tomato juice, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 35-40 minutes.
For the macaroni and cheese:
14 oz (400 g) macaroni
1 1/2 pints (900 ml) milk
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
freshly ground pepper
4 1/2 oz (125 g) mozzarella cheese
3 1/2 oz (100 g) gouda cheese
1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil. Add the macaroni and a pinch of salt. Cook until just tender.(Depending on the type of macaroni, it will usually take 8-14 minutes.) Use a spoon to skim off any white foam that rises to the top while cooking the macaroni. Carefully drain the macaroni and rinse with cold water. Transfer to a large boil.
2. In a small pan, bring the milk to a boil and set aside.
3. For the bechamel sauce, melt the butter in a heavy pan over low heat. Add the flour, stirring constantly, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk 200 ml of the hot milk into the flour mixture. Whisk until smooth. Continue cooking over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick, for about 1 minute. Repeat this step until the remaining milk is consumed. Reduce the heat, if necessary. Do net let the sauce get burn or take on a brown colour. Add the salt, let the sauce simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for another 5 minutes.
4. Mix the macaroni with the bechamel sauce.
Arranging the macaroni and cheese:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 °F. Finely grate the mozzarella and gouda cheese. Mix them together.
2. Add half of the macaroni mixture onto a deep baking dish and spread in an even layer. Spoon over with the tomato sauce, blending evenly. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top. Cover with the remaining macaroni and cheese.
3. Bake in the oven until lightly browned, about 20 minutes. For a golden brown crust, put under a hot broiler for a few minutes. Serve hot, sprinkle over with parmesan cheese to taste.
Energy: 600 kcal / 2513 kJ
Fat: 25,2 g
Carbohydrates: 64,3 g
of which sugars: 14 g
Protein: 24,1 g
Fibre: 3,8 g
♥Personal note: You can add more grated cheese on top, if you like. #( ^ o ^ )#