Marzipan Apple Pie
Ready in: 2 hours
Yield: 1 cake ( 24 cm / 9,4 in)
For the dough base:
General recipe for a Grated Shortcrust Pastry (With Sugar)
- Mixing all of the ingredients as a whole would make the pastry very firm after baking. To prevent this, you have to first mix the butter with the flour. Then briefly mix with the remaining ingredients.
7 oz (200 g) all-purpose flour
1.4 oz (40 g) confectioners’ sugar
3 1/2 (100 g) butter
0.7 fl. oz (20 ml) milk
1 packet (8 g) vanilla sugar
1 pinch of salt
1. Thoroughly rub the butter with the flour and confectioners sugar. The mixture has to be crumbly.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the milk. Dissolve the vanilla sugar and salt in the egg mixture.
3. Briefly incorporate the egg mixture into the butter mixture until evenly blended. Do not knead the pastry. Wrap the pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
For the Filling:
17.6 oz (500 g) apples
lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
1 oz (30 g) breadcrumbs
2 packets (16 g) vanilla sugar
7 oz (200 g) marzipan
2 egg whites
1 tablespoon confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon almond slivers
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Lay a 24 cm / 9,4 in round cake tin with baking paper.
2. Thoroughly wash the fruit, then pat dry with kitchen paper. Peel, core and slice the fruit. Drizzle over with the lemon juice, to keep them from turning brown. Meanwhile in a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs with 1 packet of vanilla sugar.
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan. Add the breadcrumbs mixture to the pan and toast them over low heat, about 5 minutes, stirring often. Set the mixture aside to cool. (The roasted breadcrumbs will make the filling more aromatic.)
4. Cover the fruit with 0.7 oz (20 g) of the breadcrumbs mixture all over. Roughly grate the marzipan. Beat half the grated marzipan with the egg whites. Add the remaining marzipan and confectioners sugar in batches and beat until thoroughly mixed.
5. Put the shortcrust pastry onto a lightly floured surface. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out. Transfer into the cake tin, spreading it evenly against the sides. Use a fork to poke holes into the dough. Form a rim around the top edge that is slightly thicker than the sides. Refrigerate for 5 minutes minutes more.
6. Place the dough base in the preheated oven and bake for 10-12 minutes. Transfer the cake tin from the oven onto a wire rack. Sprinkle the remaining breadcrumbs mixture on top. Spoon the marzipan mixture into the well and spread it evenly. Arrange the apples on top. Combine the almond slivers with the remaining vanilla sugar.
7. Bake until just set and golden, about 30-35 minutes. Arrange the almond slivers on top after about 25 minutes of baking time. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then remove the cake from the cake tin and let it cool completely on a wire rack.
Per piece (If you cut the cake into 8 portions):
Energy: 396 kcal / 1658 kJ
Fat: 19,2 g
Carbohydrates: 49,5 g
of which sugars: 25,1 g
Protein: 7,8 g
Fibre: 4,1 g