Salmon, Potatoes & Spinach Casserole
Ready in: 1 hour
Yield: 5 servings
17.6 oz (500 g) salmon fillets
30 oz (850 g) potatoes
17.6 (500 g) fresh spinach
1-2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/2 fresh lemon (lemon juice)
1 pinch of fresh ground nutmeg
5 fl. oz (150 ml) vegetable broth
3 1/2 oz (100 g) cheese (Montasio)
freshly ground pepper
1. Wash the spinach well in cold water. Trimm off any hard, long stems. Drain and place in a large casserole. Add 3 1/2 fl. oz (100 ml) of water, cover and cook over low heat until the spinach is wilted, for about 2 minutes. Drain the spinach and rinse under cold water. Using your hands, squeeze hard to extract the water from the spinach. Roughly chop the spinach.
2. Peel and chop the onion. Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan until sizzling. Add the onions and cook over low heat until soft, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season lightly with salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add the spinach. Season lightly with salt. Sift the flour over the spinach cook for another minute over medium heat, stirring constantly. Add the vegetable broth and toss gently with the spinach until evenly blended. Cook for another minute more. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
3. Wash the potatoes thoroughly. Put in a large pot, cover with cold and lightly salted water, and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are almost tender when pierced with a knife, but not mushy. Drain the potatoes in a colander set over a bowl. Let the potatoes cool for a while. With a ridged knife, peel the skin off of the potatoes.
4. Rinse the salmon fillets under cold water, then pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut the salmon fillets into cubes. Generously sprinkle salt and pepper over them. Drizzle the lemon-juice over the salmon fillets. Finely grate the cheese.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Place half of the potato slices in a large round baking dish. Add half of the spinach mixture. Top with another layer of cold sliced potatoes and the spinach mixture. Place the salmon over the spinach mixture. Sprinkle all over with the grated cheese.
5. Bake uncovered until golden brown, for 25 to 28 minutes.
Energy: 499 kcal / 2087 kJ
Fat: 26,2 g
Carbohydrates: 31 g
of which sugars: 2,8 g
Protein: 31,6 g
Fibre: 6,1 g