Vol-au-vents with Chicken and Champignon Ragout
Ready in: 1 hour
Yield: 12 vol-au-vents
12 vol-au-vents (filo pastry cases)
21.2 oz (600 g) boneless, skinless chicken breast fillets
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
17.6 oz (500 g) fresh champignons
8 1/2 fl. oz (250 ml) whipping cream
2.7 fl. oz (80 ml) white wine
0.9 oz (25 g) all-purpose flour
0.9 oz (25 g) cornstarch
1 handful of fresh parsley
1.8 oz (50 g) butter
freshly ground pepper
1. Thoroughly wash the parsley. Pat dry with kitchen paper, then finely chop the parsley. Peel and finely chop the onions. Pare the mushrooms, then cut off the stem ends. With a sharp knife, cut the mushrooms into cubes. Wash and peel the carrot. Trim off the stem ends, then cut the carrot into cubes.
2. Rinse the chicken fillets with cold water. Pat them dry with kitchen paper. Cut unto small cubes, then sprinkle with salt and pepper from both sides. Sift the flour and cornstarch onto 2 separate plates. Coat the chicken cubes with half the flour flour from all sides, shaking off any excess.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken cubes in batches and cook on all sides until golden, about 2-3 minutes, stirring to break up the meat. Transfer the chicken and it’s juice into a bowl and set aside.
4. Using the same skillet, melt 0.7 oz (20 g) of butter over low heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook for 5 minutes until softened, stirring frequently. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Add the mushrooms. Cover partly, and cook over a medium heat for about 10-15 minutes, or until the mushrooms absorb all of the emerging juices. Stir occasionally to prevent burning them.
5. Add 0.4 oz (10 g) of butter and cook for 5-7 minutes more. Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt. Add the chopped parsley and stir to blend evenly. Then transfer into a bowl. Preheat the oven to 340 °F (170 °C). Lay a baking tin with baking paper and place the pastry cases on top. Bake them in the oven for about 8 minutes.
6. Melt the remaining butter until sizzling. Stir in the sieved cornstarch and mix well to distribute it evenly. Slowly pour in the whipping cream, white wine and 3.4 fl. oz (100 ml) of water, stir and bring to a boil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Reduce the heat, then add the mushrooms and chicken mixture. Cover, and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
7. Fill the warm pastry cases with the chicken ragout. Serve warm.
Energy: 325 kcal / 1358 kJ
Fat: 21,5 g
Carbohydrates: 16 g
of which sugars: 1,9 g
Protein: 15,6 g
Fibre: 1,3 g