Crème Pâtissière (Vanilla Cream for Cakes)
Ready in: 1 hour
Yield: 1 cake
1.6 oz (45 g) cornstarch
3 1/2 oz (100 g) granulated sugar
2 egg yolks
16.9 oz (500 ml) milk
1 teaspoon vanilla paste
6.8 oz (200 ml) whipping cream
1. Combine the cornstarch and granulated sugar in a bowl. Add the egg yolks and (50 ml) of the milk, then stir to mix evenly.
2. Combine the vanilla paste with the milk. In a large casserole, bring the milk and vanilla mixture to a boil.
3. Pour the egg yolk mixture in batches into the boiling milk, while stirring constantly. Remove the pan from the heat. Let the mixture cool completely. Stir occasionally to prevent the cream from forming a layer on top.
4. Press the mixture through a strainer into a large bowl. Put plastic foil over the cream. (If the vanilla cream is warm, the whipped cream will melt, while combining them.)
5. In a separate bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Add the whipping cream in batches into the vanilla cream and beat well until evenly blended.
6. Put the cream into the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes.