Instant Noodles with Chicken and Vegetables
Ready in: 35 minutes
Yield: 5 servings
9 oz (250 g) instant noodles (Mie – Noodles)
1 (150 g) courgette
2 (170 g) carrots
2 (125 g) red bell peppers
2 garlic cloves
0.7 oz (20 g) fresh ginger
17.2 oz (490 g) boneless skinless chicken breast
3 tablespoons soy sauce
freshly ground pepper
sunflower oil (for frying)
1. Wash and dry the vegetables. Trim off the stem ends. Pare the carrot and cut into strips. Cut the pepper in half, discard the seeds and the white membranes. Cut the pepper into thin strips. With a sharp paring knife remove the ginger and garlic from their skin. Finely chop the garlic cloves and ginger.
2. Rinse the chicken filets with cold water. Pat dry with kitchen paper. Cut the chicken filets into small cubes and rub them with salt and pepper.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the chicken cubes to the hot oil. Cook, partly covered, over medium heat until cooked through on all sides, about 2-3 minutes. Stir frequently to keep the meat from sticking together. Transfer the chicken cubes and it’s juice into a bowl. (It’s important to keep the juice. It adds great flavour.)
4. Put the noodles in a large bowl or pan. Pour over with boiled water. Soak the noodles for 3-4 minutes. Keep 2-3 tablespoons of the water. Drain the noodles.
5. Using the same frying pan, heat 2-3 tablespoons of sunflower oil. Add the garlic and ginger and cook until just sizzling, about 30 seconds. Add the carrots and bell peppers and cook for 3 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add the courgettes and continue cooking, partly covered, until softened, about 5-7 minutes more.
6. Add the chicken cubes, soy sauce, mie-noodles and noodle water. Toss gently to mix and cook over high heat, uncovered, for about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and set aside. Let simmer for another minute.
7. Serve hot. Top with lightly toasted sesame seeds to taste.
Energy: 382 kcal / 1598 kJ
Fat: 9,5 g
Carbohydrates: 41,8 g
of which sugars: 6,7 g
Protein: 30,6 g
Fibre: 2,3 g
♥Personal note: Always wash the cutting board thoroughly after cooking with fresh meat. Preferably use separate cutting boards for vegetables and meat.