Layered Cheese Bread (Yeast Pastry)
Ready in: 2 1/2 hours
Yield: 12 pieces
24.7 oz (700 g) all-purpose flour
1 pinch of salt
0.5 oz (14 g) dried yeast
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
13.5 fl. oz (400 ml) milk (lukewarm)
1 egg (room temperature)
7 oz (200 g) butter (softened)
7.9 oz (225 g) cheese (Gouda)
1 egg yolk
1. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Heat the milk in a casserole until lukewarm. In a bowl, combine half the lukewarm milk with the granulated sugar and egg. Stir briefly to blend.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the dried yeast with the remaining milk. Stir gently to dissolve.
3. Pour the egg mixture and yeast mixture into the sieved flour. Use your hands to knead the dough until it begins to form a ball.
4. Now add half the butter and incorporate well into the dough. Knead until smooth. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. Form into a ball, cover and leave to rise in a warm place until the dough doubles in volume, about 1 hour
5. Meanwhile, finely grate the cheese. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead it lightly for about 1 minute. Divide the dough into 12-14 balls. Sprinkle a rolling pin lightly with flour and roll out the dough into a thin rectangle.
6. Grease a large square baking dish lighty with butter. Melt the remaining butter in a small casserole over low heat. Allow to cool completely. Put the thinly rolled out dough onto the baking dish and brush lightly with the melted butter.
7. Top the first dough layer with another rolled out dough and brush with the melted butter. Now, lightly sprinkle the second dough layer with cheese all over. Repeat with the remaining dough, melted butter and cheese. Leave the last dough layer free from cheese and butter. Divide the dough rectangle with a sharp knife into serving pieces. Cover with kitchen towel and leave to rise in a warm place, about 20-30 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). In a small bowl, combine the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons of milk. Stir to blend evenly. Brush the top all over with the egg yolk mixture. Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Do not open the stove while baking the layered cheese bread.
Energy: 438 kcal / 1834 kJ
Fat: 22 g
Carbohydrates: 45,5 g
of which sugars: 3,3 g
Protein: 13,4 g
Fibre: 1,7 g