Poppy Seed Swirls
Ready in: 2 hours
Yield: 12 swirls
For the Poppy Seed Filling:
Use this recipe: Poppy Seed Filling
For the Yeast Dough:
17.6 oz (500 g) all-purpose flour
7.6 fl. oz (225 ml) milk (lukewarm)
2.1 oz (60 g) granulated sugar
1 packet (8 g) vanilla sugar
1 pinch of salt
2 egg yolks
lemon zest from 1/2 lemon
0.9 oz (25 g) fresh yeast
2 1/2 oz (70 g) butter
1. Sift the flour into a large bowl.
2. Heat the milk until lukewarm. In a bowl, combine half of the milk with the sugar, vanilla sugar, salt, egg yolks and lemon zest. Stir briefly to blend.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the fresh yeast with the remaining milk. Stir gently to dissolve.
4. Pour the egg mixture and yeast mixture into the sieved flour. Use your hands to knead the dough until it begins to form a ball. Now add the butter and incorporate well into the dough. Knead until smooth. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. Form into a ball and leave to rise in a warm place until the dough doubles in volume, about 1 hour.
5. Lay a baking sheet with baking paper. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead it lightly for about 1 minute. Sprinkle a rolling pin lightly with flour and roll the dough out. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking sheet.
Arranging the Dough with the Poppy Seed filling:
1. Top the dough with the poppy seed filling. Roll the dough up. With a sharp knife, cut the rolled dough into 11-12 slices.
2. Cover the swirls with a clean and dry kitchen towel and allow them to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, for about 30-40 minutes more.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Do not open the stove while baking the swirls!
For the Icing Sugar Glaze:
3 tablespoons lemon juice
4 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice with the confectioners sugar. Stir to blend evenly.
2. Drizzle or brush the glaze over the warm poppy seed swirls.
Energy: 407 kcal / 1706 kJ
Fat: 15,2 g
Carbohydrates: 55 g
of which sugars: 16,9 g
Protein: 11,1 g
Fibre: 4,9 g