Ready in: 25 minutes
Yield: 17 Quarkbaellchen
8.8 oz (250 g) all-purpose flour
4.4 oz (125 g) granulated sugar
8.8 oz (250 g) curd cheese (Quark, 20 % fat)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 packet (8 g) vanilla sugar
sunflower oil (for frying)
granulated sugar (for coating)
Optional: 1 pinch of ground cinnamon
1. In a big bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy, one at a time. Add the granulated sugar and vanilla sugar. Stir until evenly blended. Add the quark in batches, stirring well after each addition.
2. Mix the flour with the baking powder. Sieve the flour mixture in three batches into the egg mixture, whisking well between each addition.
3. Rub your hands lightly with sunflower oil. With your hands, shape the mixture into round balls, each about 1 1/2 inches / 4 cm in diameter. (Repeat this step, before forming a new ball.)
4. Heat the sunflower oil in a large pan over low-medium heat. (The pan should be half full.) When hot, carefully put the Quarkbaellchen into the hot oil. Fry until they turn dark golden brown all over, about 3-4 minutes. The Quarkbaellchen should not get too brown too early, otherwise they will not be cooked through. (You should also never cook all of the Quarkbaellchen in one batch.) Using a large slotted spoon, transfer the Quarkbaellchen to a plate covered with kitchen paper.
5. Spread 3 1/2 oz (100 g) of sugar on a big plate. Roll the Quarkbaellchen in the sugar to coat all over.
Energy: 133 kcal / 555 kJ
Fat: 4,1 g
Carbohydrates: 19,7 g
of which sugars: 8,6 g
Protein: 3,9 g
Fibre: 0,4 g