Spinach and Ricotta Pizza
Ready in: 1 hour 30 minutes
Yield: 1 Pizza
Cooking equipment: Rolling pin, Pizza pan
For the filling:
14 oz (400 g) fresh spinach
1 red onion
2 tablespoons butter
3 1/2 oz (100 g) ricotta cheese
1 pinch of grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 pinch of freshly ground pepper
2 oz (60 g) mozzarella
2 oz (60 g) gouda
1. Wash the spinach well. Drain and place in a heavy pan. Add 1.69 fl. oz (50 ml) of hot water to keep it from sticking. Cover and cook over low-medium heat until just wilted, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Let the spinach cool for a while. Once cooled, squeeze it to remove the excess water. Roughly chop the spinach and set aside.
2. Cut the onion into thin slices. Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan. Add the onions and cook over low heat until soft, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, nutmeg and pepper. Add the spinach and stir to blend. Season lightly with salt and cook for another minute. Add the ricotta cheese and stir to blend. Transfer the spinat mixture onto a plate and leave to cool.
3. Thoroughly drain and squeeze the mozzarella cheese to remove any excess liquid. Grate the mozzarella and gouda cheese and mix them together. Keep the cheese refrigerated until ready to use.
For the pizza dough:
7.76 oz (220 g) all-purpose flour
1/2 (21 g) cube fresh yeast
5 fl. oz (150 ml) water (lukewarm)
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1. Combine the flour and 1 teaspoon of salt into a large bowl and mix well.
2. In a seperate bowl, dissolve the yeast and sugar in 5 fl oz (150 ml ) of lukewarm water. (This is the most important step, because if the water is too hot or cold, the yeast will not rise. The water has to be lukewarm.) Allow the mixture to stand for 3-5 minutes.
3. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Sift the flour mixture into the yeast mixture and knead until the dough begins to form a ball. (Add more flour, if the dough is too sticky.)
4. Turn the dough onto a slightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Form into a ball and place in a large bowl. Cover with kitchen paper to keep the heat in. Allow to rise until the size is doubled, about 1 hour.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Rub your hands lightly with olive oil. Turn the dough onto a slightly floured surface and knead lightly, about 1 minute. Sprinkle a rolling pin lightly with flour and roll the dough out. Transfer the dough to a pizza pan. Using your fingertips, pat out the dough to line the pan evenly.
Arranging the Pizza:
1. Spread the spinach filling evenly onto the dough, leaving the rim clear. Sprinkle over with the grated cheese. Bake until the crust is golden brown, about 27-30 minutes.
Per pizza slice: (If you cut the pizza into 8 slices.):
Energy: 244 kcal / 1021 kJ
Fat: 13 g
Carbohydrates: 22,7 g
of which sugars: 1,8 g
Protein: 8,7 g
Fibre: 2 g