Sweet Brioche Braid
Ready in: 3 hours
Yield: 1 bread
21.2 oz (600 g) all-purpose flour
8 1/2 fl. oz. (250 ml) milk (lukewarm)
5 oz (140 g) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks
1 pinch of grated lemon rind
1 oz (30 g) fresh yeast
5 oz (140 g) butter
1. Sieve the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Heat the milk until lukewarm and set aside.
2. Crumble the fresh yeast into a small bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and 3-4 tablespoons of the lukewarm milk and stir to blend.
3. Pour the yeast mixture into the well and mix with 1/4 of the sieved flour. Sprinkle with some flour on top. Cover the bowl and leave to rise for 15 minutes. You will see some cracks in the flour after a while.
4. Now you can add the milk, sugar, salt, egg yolks, egg and grated lemon rind. Use your hands to knead the dough until it begins to form a ball. Now add the butter and incorporate well into the dough. Knead until smooth. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. Form into a ball and leave to rise in a warm place until the dough doubles in volume, about 1 hour.
5. Lay a baking tin with baking paper. Grease the baking tin lightly with butter. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured board and knead it for about 1 minute. Divide the dough into 3 pieces. Roll the pieces into long ropes of equal lenght and lay them seam-side down on the baking paper. Braid the entire bread, starting in the middle. Pinch the ends together and fold them under.
6. Cover the braided bread with a clean and dry kitchen towel and allow it to rise in a warm place until doubled in size, for about 30-40 minutes more.
7. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Brush the bread lightly with melted butter or egg wash and bake for about 35 to 40 minutes, until browned. You can cover the bread with sugar and water icing, then sprinkle over with roasted almond flakes.
1 piece of brioche (If you cut the bread into 16 pieces):
Energy: 261 kcal / 1092 kJ
Fat: 9,8 g
Carbohydrates: 36,8 g
of which sugars: 9,8 g
Protein: 5,7 g
Fibre: 1,2 g